Building a transparent
Talent Inc. is the global leader in career services. Through its suite of brands — TopResume, TopCV, TopInterview and ResumeRabbit — the company helps professionals tell the best version of their career story, enabling them to stand out from the crowd and land the right job, faster.
Fear of the Unknown. Talent Inc. relies on its network of resume writers to accept job “offers” at regular intervals. In its previous state, these offers contained very little information about the client outside of an overly simplistic industry categorization. Writers were hesitant to accept jobs that could be undesirable, creating a logjam of orders that required costly manual intervention.
Tools (prototyping, wire-framing)
Sketch, InVision & Adobe Illustrator
Compiled user research from a beta product
Researched top competitors
Focused on 'the why' of the product
user empathy, ideation
UI, layout, color palette,
Based on the personas and research, I created the three following user stories that would inform the user flow and features for the design screens. The user stories helped me to understand user motivation and desired outcomes.
Situation Motivation Outcome
When I accept a job offer, I want more context of the order when I accept, so it doesn't become a nightmare.
As soon as I go to the orders page , I want to be able to know all the details without being timed to accept the job, so I don't waste my time and do a good job.
One thing became super clear—the job target is the resume. Instead of hinging a client’s fulfillment experience on a simple industry category, we needed to be more transparent. The old offer showed little in the way of relevant information, and writers felt like they were taking a gamble by accepting an order, leading to poor morale, and quality work that the writers aren't proud of.
One of our requirements was that the new offer must fit in the same digital space as the old, without any new changes in functionality. Thus, the general offer dimensions would remain relatively the same. With this in mind, I got to work on wireframing ideas.
The client’s resume should be prominent, along with their stated job targets. We got rid of the 5 minute countdown clock and corporate “As a reminder, you are set up to accept X orders per week” language, which felt overly stringent and condescending, focusing instead on using available space to highlight information that is most relevant to our writers. Additionally, data showed that most writers made a decision on an offer within 27 seconds, which meant the clock was just causing unnecessary pressure.
Prototyping & Validation
After rounds of iteration, we landed on a final design. This redesigned offer provides a much more clear picture of the client’s history and job goals by showcasing their resume and highlighting their intended job targets.
The new offer was rolled out to test groups of writers and met with an overwhelmingly positive response:
Really like it! Much more informative, and much more visually pleasing! - Megan R.
This will be so helpful! - Karen H.
This is amazing! - Treshia C.
Better yet, writers who were seeing the new offer started snapping up “Other” orders, leading to a sharp decrease in time-to-assignment. This test group also took 17.5% more orders during the first week of testing as compared to the week prior. After full network-wide adoption, “Other” orders are smoothly moving through the system, order cycle time has improved, and reassignment requests are down. A win for our writers, for their clients, and for the overall health of the business. We're continuing to add more gamification features to the entire interace.